Faculty Spotlight Volume 2 Issue 1 August-September 2022

Faculty Spotlight: Amber Farris

Interview by Caitlyn Harper


Photo by Caitlyn Harper

  • Background story - where you are from originally, family, college/s attended, degree/s, how you got to teaching, how long have you been teaching:

I’m from Erie, Pennsylvania. I have an 8-year-old son that attends Lascassas Elementary. I moved to Murfreesboro to attend college at MTSU. I have a Bachelor of Science degree in Animal Science and got my teaching certification a few years later. I also have a Master’s in Administration. I have been teaching for 10 years.

  • Educational philosophy/mission in education:

My philosophy is that all children can learn and keep engagement and expectations high.

  • How do you prepare for your classes?

I am a huge planner, so prepping for a lesson is extremely important for me. I like to have lessons prepared a week or more in advance.

  • How do you nurture relationships in the classroom?

I believe in getting to know my students. I try to find things they like and want to talk about to help encourage relationship building.

  • How do you connect with students?

I’m a huge advocate on relationship building. 

  • How would past students, peers or administrators describe you?

Students- strict but fair, like a mom. Administration and teachers- organized 

  • What is the greatest success you’ve had with teaching?

My greatest success in teaching is every day when students get that lightbulb moment, and they truly get what I’m teaching.

  • What do you think is the greatest challenge facing students today?

The greatest challenge for students today is being able to be a kid. Kids are so ready to grow up, they are missing out of the fundamentals of childhood. 

  • What is the greatest challenge facing teachers today?

The greatest challenge teachers are facing is the never-ending battle of cell phones. They’ve encompassed students so much that it’s hard to get them away from them without a battle.

  • What qualities make a great teacher?

Compassionate, honest, transparent, lifelong learner, and a growth mindset.

  • Describe your worst teaching day. What did you learn from the experience?

I’m not sure I’ve had a worst day ever. I believe in adapting when needed and continuously changing with the unexpected.

  • Any question you would like to ask us that we did not ask?

None at this time.

Comments

Twitter