Scholar Spotlight Volume 2 Issue 1 August-September 2022

Scholar Spotlight: Willa Cook

Photo by Caitlyn Harper

  • Tell us about yourself: 

I am 14 years old. I have been an equestrian/riding horses since I was 5. My family is super outdoorsy, so I enjoy camping, surfing, rafting, skiing, etc.

  • Where do you see yourself in 10 years? 

Well, in ten years I would hope to see myself doing something with biology because it is something I enjoy learning about. I also would hope in ten years that I will still be riding.

  • What are your strengths/weaknesses? 

Well in school, my strengths are ELA and science, and my weakness is math.

  • What one word best describes you? 

I would say extroverted.

  • What is/are your favorite subject/s and why? 

Well last year my favorite subject would probably be science but so far this year, I think it is still science. I just enjoy learning about how stuff works but I especially enjoy biology.

  • What is your favorite OMS tradition and why? 

8th grade night because they are all leaving and to be recognized for what they have contributed to OMS is super fun.

  • What has being here taught you about people? 

Not everyone learns the same way as you, so be respectful to others.

  • If you were principal of OMS for one day, what policies would you initiate? 

Mini schools that are based on what level or pace you learn at.

  • What do you see as the biggest problem facing OMS today? 

People not wanting to participate in following rules, and people not wanting to learn or pay attention.

  • If you were taking a prospective student on a tour of OMS, where would you take them and why? 

I would take him to sit in on some exploratory classes, so he sees what we offer in that area. I would also take him to some of my favorite classes to show him how we operate in classrooms. Finally, I would take him to the trophy walls and tell him about all the sports we offer.

  • What makes OMS special? 

Our teachers and curriculum are very good, we make sure that everyone gets a well-rounded education, but we are also VERY well known for good sports teams.

  • How have you changed since being at OMS? 

Honestly not a lot, I am more involved and do more extracurriculars than I used to.

  • What activities are you involved in and how have they prepared you for the future? 

I am involved in Beta Club; it prepares you to stay on top of your grades and be a better person. 

  • Do you see yourself as a leader or follower? Why? 

I honestly see myself as both a leader and a follower. I almost always know what’s going on in class and help others to understand, but I also sometimes don’t make decisions for myself and follow others in what they have decided.

  • Who has been the most influential person in your life other than your caregivers? 

I would have to say my grandfather, ever since I was little, he has been sick. He would always demand that he come to pretty much all our games and shows, even though he was in an oxygen tank. Several years ago, he got a double lung transplant and spent many days in the hospital. After he recovers from that a year later, he formed cancer from the medicines he was taking. He took several rounds of chemo, and today he is healthy and still comes to all our activities.

  • If you were an animal, what would you be and why? 
I think a dog because most do the time, I am very happy and easy going, but I will also defend what I believe in.
  • What has been the proudest moment in your life? 
Honestly, my proudest moment would be me deciding to switch Barns. It was hard for me, but I knew it was time and now I am thriving where I am at now.
  • Tell us about your most embarrassing moment.
My most embarrassing moment was when I was at a show, and I was having a really bad day and a bad round. The horse I was on took off with me and it took me awhile to get it to stop, but the class was not over so I had to continue to go around the ring sobbing. 

  • Tell us about a time when you dealt with a difficult person. 
During a lab in science class, I was with two individuals that were very obnoxious and sometimes they didn’t follow directions or pay attention. During this lab I had to continue to put them back onto what we were doing.

  • Tell us about a time you balanced multiple responsibilities. 
There was a time at the barn where I was supposed to look after the lesson kids’ time to see if they were tacking up correctly and I was watching two small children.
  • Tell us about a time when you led a team. 
There was one show season where I was the only one in my division, I was the top of the middle school team I was responsible for getting all the team points for my division every time.
  • Is there anything you would like to leave us with? 
Honestly, be who you are and follow instructions, and you will be a great student.

Comments

Twitter